What I do
I’m dedicated to developing strong product teams, and finding ways to build and scale innovation inside companies.
In my day-to-day work as Sr. Director of Product at SpotHero, I instill data-driven decision making and focus on users through product discovery and data science. In addition, I advise and coach companies to build and level up their own product strengths.
How I work
I work bringing innovation principles into product teams, and creating technological R&D within companies around data science, machine learning, and AI.
Some of the areas I specialize in:
* Metrics and Data-Driven Decision Making: I've introduced a metrics focus to the teams and companies I work with -- rolling out Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) to align an entire company, and coaching product managers to shift their thinking toward hypothesis-driven development.
* Customer Discovery and Design Thinking: I teach startups customer discovery techniques to validate that they're solving problems worth paying for. As a LUMA Certified Design Thinking Practitioner, I facilitate ideation sessions to identify new opportunities and generate promising concepts to validate.
* Data Science and Machine Learning: I build out technical innovation through data science, working with data scientists to develop both a long-term data vision, as well as creating an environment for rapid experimentation -- creating a new proof of concept weekly.
* Product Strategy: Strategy sits between vision and execution. I lead data and product strategy around technology and AI investments, identifying opportunities in market trends, and laying the groundwork to shift customer perception in order to make strategic shifts successful in market.
Sr. Director of Product, 2021-Present
Director of Product, 2020-2021
Oversee 2-sided parking marketplace, connecting millions of drivers with parking in every major city in the U.S..
- Define and execute consumer and operator product strategy across 16 product teams, including iOS, Android, CarPlay, Android Auto, and web.
- Coach and mentor teams in areas of product discovery, experimentation, driving outcomes via OKRs, design thinking, and data science,
- Create career path, skills, and competencies for product management organization.
- Re-organized product teams post-COVID to drive retention; cohort retention increased 15 points.
- Led product teams through high-volatility time period by connecting teams to concrete metrics for success; eNPS increased 30 points and maintained employee retention at 100%
- Drove demand-side strategy within product organization, leading to record high demand and high-profile partnerships with Lyft and MLB to introduce new users to SpotHero.
Expert-in-Residence, 2021 - Present
As Expert-in-Residence at startup incubator 1871, I create and lead the curriculum for startup founders in the PYROS BUILD program.
Lead deep dive workshops and interactive breakout sessions covering topics such as:
- Early signs of product market fit
- MVP development techniques
- Analytics definition and implementation
- Usability and beta testing
- Early stage user interviewing
- Experimentation techniques
- Agile and user story mapping
- Prioritization methods for early stage startups
VP, Product, 2016-2019
Director, Product, 2014-2016
Product Manager, 2014
Scaled and expand the portfolio of products for ALEX—an HR benefits platform helping 1,500 B2B employers & 18M users.
- Expanded product offering and scale company past $50M ARR.
- Built Product team as first external Product hire; partnered with executive leadership to grow and manage department of 12 PMs.
- Created data science team, using ML and AI to find new opportunities.
- Created customer discovery process; constructed rapid prototyping and ideation pipeline to deliver POCs every week.
- Oversaw complete replatform of core product; rebult 10 years of tooling in 12 months; mobile user satisfaction increased 42%.
- Increased users’ pre-tax contributions 200% above the national average, saving employees & employers $120M in taxes.
- Introduced focus on data-driven decision making, market & user validation; aligned product development effort to measurable metrics, coached and trained OKR rollout company-wide across 400+ employees.
VP, Product Development, 2012-2014
Director, Product Development, 2010-2012
Product Manager, 2009
Defined strategy and execute development of big data, search, and display ad platforms for enterprise-level advertising clients.
- Led creation of a SaaS product and classification technology of over 450,000 unique categories to source profitable long-tail keywords for arbitrage; increased gross revenue 300%.
- Applied core technology to multiple new verticals: SEM, retargeting, social media and video classification
- Directly managed core engineering and ops team, as well as overseeing over 100 employees and contractors on-and-offsite.
Stax, Inc. Strategy Consulting
Consultant Associate, 2005-2008
Provide strategy consulting & research for private equity and Fortune 100 corporations. Areas of focus:
- new product research
- sales & marketing
- pricing models
- statistical analysis
- alternative banking
- financial planning